Monday, June 19, 2017

2016 Archives Blaster Break



I stopped by my local target to try and pick up a blaster of 2017 archives, but they didn't have any. I didn't plan on buying anything after I saw they didn't have 2017 archives, but I took a look in the discount bin which never has baseball. It always either hockey or racing which I don't collect at all. Low and behold, when I saw the 2016 archives blaster discounted for $12.99, I just had to buy it. So, here is the recap.

First off, let me start by saying that the card stock from last year's archives is much cheaper and thinner than this year's, so good job by Topps for fixing that.

Base Cards

Overall, the base cards are good. I think my favorite of the three designs is the '91's. I just like the crispness and simplicity of the design, and I like team color borders. Above are the better base cards, I guess is what you would say. I also got: Aroldis Chapman, Justin Upton, Craig Kimbrel, Jorge Soler, Byron Buxton, Evan Gattis, Danny Salazar, Cole Hamels, Hisashi Iwakuma, Billy Butler, Brian Dozier, Hector Rondon, Yu Darvish, Russell Martin, Salvador Perez, Jonathan Lucroy, David Peralta, Adam Wainwright, Jay Bruce, Kendrys Morales, Chris Davis, Rougned Odor, Hunter Pence, Yasiel Puig, and Gio Gonzalez. These are all available for trade.

Inserts



I think the insert sets are OK. I really like the Topps supers (Machado and Lindor). I'm definitely going to be keeping those two because I like oddballs and I also like the type of recent inserts that are either modeled after previous oddball sets or the inserts sets that just have that retro feel. The Father-Son and 1st Pick inserts are OK, but they didn't really have players I like, so both of those are for trade if anyone wants them. The Bull Durham insert is also for trade.

Mini Collection Cards




This is the real draw to archives for me. I love how it isn't just HOFers either. For example, people such as John Franco, Bucky Dent, Bret Boone, Doc Gooden, and Jim Abbot. I also like how Topps decided to put Babe Ruth on the Red Sox.


I did get one numbered card in the box. This Satchel Paige blue is numbered /199. I'm glad its a past player instead of a present one. Though, I still think the highlight of the box is the mini collection past players on present cards.







2 comments:

  1. I'd have pulled the trigger on a discounted Archives blaster as well. Nice pull on the Paige!

    ReplyDelete